Monday 31 January 2011

Pancakes

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The first time I had a pancake was in Scotland as a student. I was living with a wonderful lady to help me with my English on my first year in Edinburgh. She bought those ready small pancakes in packets, popped them in the toaster, and have them warm with butter..Oh I loved them..


So when I was back to Oman, I was telling one of my friends (who happened to be with me in Scotland) how much I missed pancakes, and she told me that I can get the ready boxed ones. So I bought one and used to add eggs, oil and milk as I remember. I wasn't still satisfied.

Then I found one recipe in a book on kids food that I changed a bit, and was almost happy..but not totally..

I then looked for few recipes, attempted a lot...but nothing was my perfect pancake recipe..Till I found it...this one...after I nearly lost hope :D..
They have cake texture, and the secret is not to over mix...just mix till the batter combines but with lumps..
The recipe adapted from herehere
Buttermilk pancakes (but I never used buttermilk :O))
it yields for me nine medium sized pancakes:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice which is what I always use)
1 large egg
3 tablepoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
oil for the skillet (my pan is non-stick so I omit this)
(I add cinnamon powder with mashed banana sometimes, or vanilla alone, or powdered cardamom)


  • Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Wisk them together and then form a well in the middle. Set aside. Combine the wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Wisk them together. 
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the well you formed in the middle of the dry ingredients. Using a wisk, mix scraping the bottom of the bowl, mixing just until everything is moist, but still lumpy. The batter will be very thick, this is the way it should be. Do not over mix.
  • heat your pan over medium to low heat before adding the batter.  Pour about 1/4-1/2 cup of batter into the skillet. Depending on the pan you might be able to cook more than one at a time.
  • The batter will be thick so you might need to spread it. Cook the pancakes for two minutes or until golden brown than flip them over and brown the other side. The second side should take slightly less time than the first. Serve warm.








No comments:

Post a Comment